Facial steaming is by no means a new technology for the skin; however at home steaming is rapidly growing in popularity, with versions of face steamers being released from high street to high end. Stemming from the ancient Greeks and Romans this was well regarded as their skin secret and for years mothers have passed down the secret of face steaming to their daughters and often swearing by it. Using a face steamer is a way to relax and reduce stress.
A face steamer could help your skin see many benefits
- Increases blood flow - Good circulation is key to having healthy skin and an even complexion, therefore helping to keep your skin blotch free and more youthful.
- Cleanses - it is crucial to cleanse your skin and the steam will help to draw out dirt and bacteria from the pores. Furthermore drawing out a buildup of blackheads and whiteheads to keep your skin looking fresh.
- Hydrates - Hydrating is important in reviving your skin, it also helps to increase absorption of skincare products and improves permeability and suppleness, giving you an overall more youthful appearance.
- Calms - When used with essential oils the aromatherapy can help connect you to your breath, calming and soothing not only your body but your mind as well.
- Moisturises - Steaming can have anti-ageing benefits due to the moisturisation that can be achieved. Applying rosehip oil after steaming can help to deeply lock in all the moisture.
- Kills bacteria - By reducing the bacteria found on your skin and in the pores it can help to treat and prevent acne.
- Glows - All these benefits will help to leave your skin glowing and youthful due to the immense advantage of taking care of your skin.
Instructions on how to use out a face steamer:
Choose your face steamer, there are many on the market all varying in price so it depends what you are looking for, we are familiar with the Eco Masters Face Steamer.
Decide if you wish to use herbs, many benefits have been seen from adding herbs to the steamer due to each of their unique properties. For dry skin we recommend lavender, rose or borage and for oily skin, peppermint, sage or rosemary.
Find the perfect location for your at home steam, we recommend a clear surface where you can comfortably sit with your feet flat on the floor.
With hair pulled back out of the way you should thoroughly cleanse your face and neck, honey cleansers have been known to bring blood to the surface of the skin and support the removal of impurities.
Using Purified or distilled water add it to the face steamer with your herbs or oils of choice, once you press start it will begin to steam in a matter of seconds.
Holding your face approximately 20cm away from the steamer for a few minutes you can allow the steam to penetrate the pores; up to 10 minutes of steaming is ideal!
Exfoliating the face after steaming is the best time to do it as all the pores are open, cleansing clogged pores.
Pat your face dry with a clean towel and apply your moisturizer or serum, you could even massage it in using upward strokes. Leaving you feeling calm with radiant and glowing skin.
Repeat weekly in order to see the benefits of an at home spa treatment!
Many have enjoyed the benefits of using a face steamer so you might too! Take a look at the Eco Masters Face Steamer to start your own steaming journey!