Super straight, silky and shiny hair is a dream come true. You can also achieve the same beautiful look with simple hair straightening methods.
If you do not want to go for a more permanent method of straightening, then simple hair straightening is possible right at home. You can do the at home straightening methods without much hassle with the right tools and equipment like ghd straighteners, helping to boost your confidence!
Benefits Of Hair Straightening At Home
Relief from tangle and knot free hair
A common worry for women, especially with long hair is tangles and knots. It takes both time and patience to make the hair completely smooth, however, it is easier for those who choose to have their hair straight.
Experimental and optional
The option of temporary hair straightening is very flexible using home friendly devices like a ghd Straightener. If you think the look suits you and you like it, you can redo it. However, if you don’t like it, simply wash your hair and reveal your natural locks once again.
Pocket friendly hair treatment
When it comes to temporary hair straightening at home, it is very pocket friendly. Invest in a good styler like the ghd Platinum Hair Straightener, ghd IV Styler or ghd V Gold and it could last you a lifetime! Combs, brushes and bobby pins are basic essentials during hair straightening at home.
Steps for hair straightening at home
Despite all benefits related to hair straightening, many women do not opt for it complaining that the at-home method does not yield them the desired look they expect. This often happens because they do not know the right technique of straightening hair. Hair straightening at home is not only about applying heat of the straightener to your hair.
Hair straightening is a process for which you need time, patience and should be done following the right technique for the best look. Also, using the correct equipment for hair straightening like a ghd straightener is very important.
Tools for hair straightening at home
To straighten your hair at home, ensure you have the right set of tools.
- ghd straightener
- Blow Dryer
- Hair Spray
- Round Brush
- Hair Straightening Brush
- Clean Towel
- Hair Paddle Brush
- Bristle brush
In addition, do keep a washed and clean t-shirt.
Step 1: Start with a hair wash
For your hair wash you will need, shampoo, conditioner, a towel and also a clean t-shirt.
- Decide on your shampoo based on your hair problem or type. At Lé Luna, you can pick between Dandrene Antidandruff Shampoo and Revita Hair Growth Shampoo. Apply the shampoo to wet hair and wait for 2 to 3 minutes. Repeat the shampoo process twice for perfectly cleansed hair and ease of straightening.
- Next, apply the conditioner and let it sit on your hair for 2 to 3 minutes before you wash it off, the longer you leave it the more nourished your hair will feel.
- Wrap the towel around your hair and now use the t-shirt to blot the extra water from your hair. Often the rough texture of the towel leads to extra hair breakage whereas the t-shirt is much more beneficial.
Step 2: Serum
- Serum application might seem simple and quick but how you apply will affect how easy your hair straightening process is.
- When your hair is completely air dried, apply three to five drops of serum (depending on your hair length and thickness) all over the hair.
- Check for knots and tangles and gently remove them. By the end of the serum application, your hair should be smooth enough for you to run your fingers through it.
Step 3: Time to blow dry
- For this step you will need a good blow dryer and a hairbrush.
- Use the brush from root to tip, directing the nozzle of the blow dryer at the brush as you move, helping it to become completely smooth and frizz free.
- Take thin sections of hair and blow dry all the way to the ends and repeat the same method all over your hair.
Step 4 : Hair straightening at home
- Locate yourself with your styler in front of a mirror and split the hair into sections, fixing them with clips.
- Take a section of hair and make sure there are no knots or tangles.
- Once the straightener has heated up place your hair between its plates and slowly glide it down your hair.
- Repeat this process throughout your hair until you are happy, ensuring you cover every section.
- Once you are done straightening your hair, use a brush to smooth it all out.
Tips for hair straightening at home
Now that you know how to straighten your hair, let’s look at some of the key tips to help keep your straight..
Serum at the tip
For pin straight hair, apply serum twice. First, when drying your hair before using the blow dryer, it should be applied all over the hair to make sure there are no knots or tangles. Apply next at the end of the straightening process. After straightening your hair, apply a small drop of serum only at the ends of your hair. This helps the straighten hair effect last longer, but ensure you do not use too much serum so that it is clogged or visible.
Set right temperature
Something most important to do during the hair straightening process is, setting the straightener at the right temperature. Setting it too high can damage your hair or even burn your skin and if it is too cool, then it won’t make any difference to your hair. So before putting your hair in contact with the straightener, ensure the temperature is right.
Back to front direction
Many complain of poor hair straightening because they fail to do it evenly all over. Some parts of the hair gets straightened while the rest remains wavy and curly. This happens when equal attention and effort is not paid to straighten hair from all sides. The ideal straightening method is to start from the back and then, come to the front. The same method is followed in salons and by professionals.
Cross check your hair straightener size
ghd straighteners are available in different sizes. It is best to pick your hair straightener based on the length of your hair. As the infographic shows, if you have waist long hair you need 2” straightener. For shoulder length it is 11/2” straightener.